Thursday, April 5, 2012

Holy Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wa hoo!!! I am now DISEASE FREE!!! and pray that I stay this way!

Charlie, Paul and I drove into the city on Wednesday morning at 9:15 am...hit lots of traffic going over the George Washington Bridge. Paul was driving and checking his 'google map driving directions'...and we did take a wrong turn...but realized it right away. Charlie was sitting in the back seat and at one light we all jumped out of the car and switched places! Charlie drove while Paul read him the street names and gave him all the directions. Charlie and I got out in front of the hospital and Paul went to park the car. We arrived 2 minutes early!!! We waited about 10 minutes in the waiting room (out patient) and there were lots of people having same day surgery!!! I'm sure it was all cancer related...so sad to see this many people but then again - having same day surgery is probably a good thing.

They prepped me which took about another 55 minutes...then they 'wheeled' me into the operating room (I walked for my liver surgery, into the operating room). I was able to keep my eye glasses on!! Amazing how things really look! There was a CT scan machine that I layed on the table, they put blankets on me and wrapped my arms next to my body (just with the sheet). Then they took off my glasses and I was 'out'! Don't remember anything else! I don't even remember being in recovery....or maybe I wasn't...I remember waking up in the same room that they prepped me in with Charlie and Paul at my bed side. I woke easy and the only pain I had was my neck! I needed a hot pad - I did take some morphine - but only needed it twice, it was a low dose. I asked why the neck pain and the nurse said it was probably when they put my head to my right should to take the port a cath out.

They wanted me to stay overnight - only because of the 'long' drive home. I guess when I had mentioned to the surgeon how long it took to get into the city and home that he figured I'd better stay....guess I really laid it on him!!! and it backfired on me!!!

They had these - what I call, compression booties. They feel so good! It's a 'thing' that goes over your whole calf (not your feet), with velcro and it is electric and keeps pumping and massaging your calves - one at a time. The only problem with that is -- having to go to the bathroom!! You have to be 'unhooked'!!!! Getting IV made me have to pee every hour!!! When I finally got up to my 'real' room (about 9 pm)...I was up and about at 4 and the guys left at 6....I used the 'call button' to have a nurse come in...which didn't happen soon enough...so I took them off and went...but by the time I got back (which wasn't long) these booties were blown up with air. I pressed them enough to get them back on and then the alarm went off - saying it wasn't working...then the nurse came in!!! I would have peed in my bed --- it took her so long to get there!!! So, I got the great idea that the next time I had to go --- take one off and wrap it like it was still around my leg but a little tighter --- did it to both -- and it worked! When I got back into bed while one was filling up with the air - I put the other on and visa versa! What a great brain I have!!! (sometimes it works really well).

I was able to eat something while I was still in the out patient room. As hungry as I was, I couldn't eat too much. When I got to my room I asked for a little snack and she came back with a few crackers and cranberry juice...that hit the spot!

Hospital stay is not pleasant! I have an alarm clock here - that lights up the entire room at night - just like a night light - I cover it up so it's dark in the room! I hate light at night!!! and all the hospital room have lights on!!! I had the TV on unit after midnight and felt badly for my room mate - even though I had the channel changer with the volume coming out of it...you can still see the flickering of light from the TV...but she fell asleep about 9:30 and there was no way I could sleep then! And as it was, I still had to keep getting up at night - every hour! and finally got up at 6:20 am. Once the alarm for the booties went off and I had to 'call' the nurse to fix it....she gets all upset and says that I have to keep still! yea right! I was laying on my back at the time with my legs straight! Before that I was on my side with my legs at that angle....I couldn't believe she kind of yelled at me for not sleeping 'her' way! the worst part of it, I was in a deep sleep and the dumb alarm woke me...then I couldn't fall asleep for a while....

The nurses changed shifts at 7am...did their rounds and this one girl - I guess was going to another floor or something - she introduced me to my nurse....went through some stuff and said she'd get me a menu....never did! and this was at 6:45 --- I finally got a menu at 8:30 and when I called it in - they said it would take about an hour! I was starving!!!

I finally got my food about 9:45 = scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, peach yogurt, cranberry juice and tea. I ate the whole thing!!! I had to bring the menu home...they have such great choices! The nurse said that a 'Top Chef' was there...not sure how long they stay...but he make his own menu.

Paul and Charlie got home after 9 pm - leaving NYC about 6:30 pm....Paul had a casting call in NY today (Thursday) that he was able to go from 10 to 2 pm....so, before he picked me up - he went....I waited in my room until 12:30 then went to the lobby and Paul 'finally' got there at 1:15...at least it was a beautiful day to wait outside! and this is the time that I am greatful for technology! with having cell phones!!! We were able to keep in touch with how much longer he'd be instead of me just wondering and waiting!

We went to lunch - in NJ - figured by the time we got home and have to prepare something to eat...it was easier to stop.

Now, I'm suppose to go back to the city in 6 weeks for an MRI, lab test and visit with Dr. Brown (who did the surgery) to make sure nothing grew and nothing grew back.

She wrote in her report that it was all taken out. When she spoke with me - just seeing the MRI, she wasn't sure if she'd have enough 'play' to get it...but it worked out that it was easy and had no problems with my lungs or bleeding.

That's about it....Thank YOU all!!! for your support, positive thoughts and prayers!

Now, it's payback...I think God has His agenda....that I should get together with an oncologist or nurse and speak to people that have colon cancer and how staying positive, going to different doctors for possible surgeries, and having faith may work in their favor....

Unless...YOU can think of something else that He may want me to do..........